...to promote and encourage for the public benefit the science and practice of clinical neurophysiology and related sciences
Most medical students in the UK now have the opportunity to undertake an intercalated BSc, B Med Sci or MRes, with an integrated research project as part of the degree course. The BSCN Council has agreed to implement a bursary programme for the intercalated degree year, with the principal aims of supporting young people in neuroscience research, and to raise awareness of the specialty of Clinical Neurophysiology at a formative stage in medical student careers and academic opportunities in the field.
• One bursary will be offered by the BSCN per annum, with a value up to £5000* for the 2017-18 academic year.
• The bursary must be used to support a full time research project of at least 6 months duration.
• The funds will be paid direct to the student.
• There is no stipulation as to how funds will be used by the student, but the expectation is that most of the bursary will be used to pay tuition fees.
* The Society will reserve the right not to award a bursary if applications are not deemed to be of sufficient calibre.
Operation & processing of applications
• A BSCN member must act as primary supervisor of the research project.
• Applications to be submitted to a scientific sponsorship sub-committee, with:
- an application from the student outlining the research project (1 side of A4) and how it will fit into the programme of work in the host department
- previous experience of the supervisor in student supervision
- a CV of the proposed student
• Applications for the next academic year to be received by 31st July 2017.
• Students will be expected to submit an abstract of the completed project for presentation at one of the BSCN’s scientific meetings, held three times a year.
Further information (on the programme, UK Departments of Clinical Neurophysiology and possible supervisors) is available from the Hon. Secretary Dr Veronica Leach (firstname.lastname@example.org)
A flyer for the bursary for noticeboards etc can be downloaded